ESSAYS ON VARIOUS CLAVICHORD SUBJECTS
- The Clavichords of C. P. E. Bach and Haydn, talk delivered at the British Clavichord Society meeting in London, 21 November 1998. It was subsequently published in Tangents, the Bulletin of the Boston Clavichord Society, No. 28 (Spring 2010)
- The Temperament of the Donat Clavichord, web-site essay, July 2002.
- Aspects of Clavichord Design and Set-up, a talk delivered to the British Clavichord Society meeting in Edinburgh in 2002. It subsequently appeared (May 2003) in Clavichord International, Vol. 7 No. 1.
- Link to: Understanding the clavichord, a talk delivered to the British Clavichord Society meeting in Kendal, Cumbria, in 2003.
- Twined strings for Clavichords. This is a new and updated essay, replacing the Workshop News of November 2003
- Clavichord Making in the 1890s and Today, article that appeared in the William Morris Society Newsletter, Summer 2007.
- Arnold Dolmetschs Clavichord-Making in the Years before 1914: full text of an article which first appeared in De Clavicordio VIII (proceedings of the 2007 Magnano Clavichord Symposium). NB.: this is a PDF file.
- Two Books on Temperament: a review (which first appeared in BCS Newsletter 41 in 2008) of recent books by Ross Duffin and Alexander Mackenzie of Ord.
- Reconstructing Mersennes Clavichord: full text of an article which first appeared in De Clavicordio X (proceedings of the 2011 Magnano Clavichord Symposium). NB.: this is a PDF file.
- A Mystery Clavichord: an article which first appeared in BCS Newsletter 72 in October 2018. NB.: this is a PDF file.
- The History of the Meerbach Clavichord in the Geelvinck Music Museum, Zutphen: from Clavichord International, November 2020. NB.: this is a PDF file.
- Arnold Dolmetschs First Workshop Assistant: an article which first appeared in the Dolmetsch Foundation Bulletin in Autumn 2020.
- A Chronological List of published articles, etc., by Peter Bavington can be found here. NB.: this is a PDF file. See also Research Documents below.
ESSAYS ON OTHER SUBJECTS
- A Doomed Estate: Robin Hood Gardens. This is a PDF file.
- A London Journey: my journey to work. With reflections on the history, architecture and sociology of London.
- Fancy Bread: a Boyhood Memoir. This is a PDF file
The following is a selection of past issues of Workshop News:
- Restoration (August 2001)
- Starting a new instrument (December 2001)
- Swedish clavichords (May 2002)
- Taking on a trainee (September 2002)
- Setting up a clavichord (March 2004)
- Thoughts on copying (May 2005)
- Making and using over-wound strings (September 2005)
- Sustain, and how to achieve it (July 2006)
- Decoration on clavichords(August 2007)
- Variability in design of old clavichords(December 2007)
- A list of surviving clavichords with short-and-broken bass octave. Updated April 2008.
- A checklist of keyboard instruments in the St Petersburg Museum. Updated March 2008.
- A checklist of clavichords made by members of the Schiedmayer family. Updated March 2008.
- Surviving clavichords attributed to Johann Heinrich Silbermann. Updated March 2011.
- Catalogue of clavichords made in Latin America.
- Link to The Arnold Dolmetsch Clavichord of 1896–7 in the Edinburgh University Collection: a restoration report by John Barnes. (PDF – you will need Adobe Reader to access this document).
- Catalogue of Surviving Multiple-fretted Clavichords.
[Return to Contents]